New Construction - Final Walkthrough
Contact The Home Inspector Co. to schedule your home inspection.
Building a new home is a very intense experience from picking the lot, selecting the perfect floor plan, finishes and then watching your new home come out of the ground.. It can be a very exciting and enjoyable expereince. The last thing anyone wants is to have buyers remorse when you move in and start finding one defect after another. Any defects discovered prior to closing are owned by the builder. Defects discovered after closing may or may not be covered under warranty and you have to deal with the hassle of construction repairs in your newly OCCUPIED home. Come prepared to your final walk through appointment with an inspection report in hand to review with the builder.
A Final Walkthrough Inspection includes all of the standard home inspection items listed below PLUS the following:
- Inspector will "blue tape" the home to ID deffects in paint / drywall.
Unpainted items / runs / poor surface prep / nail pops..
- 100% of windows will be checked for fit and function
Windows difficult to raise / tilt / or lock....
- 100% of doors will be checked for swing, lock function and operation
Hinges / locks / swing / opening / closing
- 100% of cabinets will be checked for door and drawer operation and damage
Drawers slide and close smoothly / damage / professional penetrations
- 100% of electrical outlets and switches checked
All outlets and switch wired / installed correctly
- Check for defects in trim and flooring (miscut joints, gaps, damage)
Miscut / uneven joints / gaps / damage
- Check for walls that are out of square, bowed or not level
Flooring joints uneven with walls / large gaps at counter edges / bulges in walls
- Check all stairs, rails and pickets
Rails installed properly / proper spacing at pickets / loose members
- Review landscaping for completeness
Gaps or large lumps in sod / dead trees or shrubs / improper grading
- Check home for cleanliness, stains and damage
Inspection should be scheduled and completed prior to closing so you have a formal report in hand to review with the builder. Report includes a full description and location of defects along with color photos.
The typical inspection takes 3 - 4 hours. Using a range of investigative tools we will inspect your home from top to bottom, including:
Our standard inspection include:
- General safety and security
- All rooms in the interior living space
- Building design, framing and structure
- Foundations, basements and crawl spaces
- Attics, stairs, steps
- Exterior walls, siding, trim, windows, doors
- Roof coverings, drainage systems, skylights, vents and ventilation
- Chimneys, fireplaces
- Walkways, patios, decks and driveways
- Perimeter drainage
- Electrical service
- Water piping & valves, gas piping & valves
- Hot water supply
- Sinks, toilets, tubs, showers
- Heating systems, cooling systems, humidifiers, air filters
- Electrical panels, wires, wiring, outlets, switches, lighting fixtures, and ceiling fans
- Attached Garage / Carport
*For complete list of inclusions and exclusions please click the "South Carolina Home Inspector Standards of Practice" tab above.